firstname.lastname@example.org 617.480.8780 www.michaelharris.net
To delight stakeholders by creating and coordinating successful user-focused interactives, products, and performance support services.
· Project leader, user experience professional, information architect, analyst, developer.
· Manage, create and support innovative user-centered mission-critical systems.
· Produce compelling prototypes, demos, media, exhibits, attractions, and games.
· Generate successful proposals and presentations.
· Lead cooperatively, communicate clearly, and collaborate effectively.
· Produced and supervised operational web-hosted air traffic situation displays, for FAA.
· Co-created the SIMNET distributed interactive simulation environment, for DARPA.
· Designed, built and managed a “corporate theme park” in London, for NCR.
· Created and headed an Adaptive Dynamic Interfaces program, at NCR.
· Developed user-centered systems for many corporate clients.
· Managed mission-critical security for multinational military logistics services.
US DoT Volpe National Transportation Systems Center; Cambridge MA 2001-2017
Project Leader, Senior Engineer.
WSD and CCSD, operational FAA web-hosted air traffic situation display systems.
· Project Leader from 2007, principal architect and principal developer for all releases.
· Planned and conducted usability studies, authored engineering and user documentation.
· Developed in C, C++, Perl, and XML, on Linux platforms.
Flash Situation Display (FSD), interactive Web-based air traffic management display.
· Project Leader: secured FAA funding, developed software in Flash and C.
· Authored promotional materials, engineering and user documentation.
Flight Object, ongoing large-scale NextGen initiative to share international flight data.
· Researched, designed and built real-time performance monitors.
· Analyzed engineering issues, e.g., Security, Exchange Modes, Data Consistency.
· Developed in Java, C++, XML, JMS, Apache/FUSE, and FIXM, on Linux platforms.
Convective Weather Forecast Display (CCFP):
· Headed design and development of easily-understood forecast displays.
· Adopted by the US National Weather Service as operational standards.
Traffic Flow Management Data to Industry (TFMDI), real-time FAA data to airlines.
· Project Leader; researched users, evolved requirements and data formats.
· Devised network architecture; developed in Perl and C++; authored all documentation.
RAMP, secure network services to oversee international logistics, for RAF and USAF.
· Security Lead: responsible for mission-critical security tasks.
· Conducted formal security audits based on ISO 27001 and NIST 800 standards.
Discern Communications Inc. (SRI International); Menlo Park, CA 2000-2001
Director, User Experience.
Natural language platforms for business queries.
· Planned and managed interaction strategy, analysis, design, development, and evaluation.
· Designed and directed corporate and project support Web sites.
Wired Retail Network, Inc.; Atlanta, GA 1999-2000
Chief Technical Officer and Chief Experience Officer.
Combined Internet and brick-and-mortar retailing via kiosks in malls.
· Developed kiosk hardware, web-based interactive systems, extranet control suite, narrowcast advertising network, corporate website.
· Formed and nurtured technology and content partnerships.
NCR/AT&T Human Interface Technology Center; Atlanta, GA 1990-1998
Founding Contributor, Senior Consulting Analyst, Executive Producer.
Formed to apply user-centered design processes for internal and external clients; staff of 80.
· Created and led Adaptive Dynamic Interfaces program: systems learn to accommodate their users ("The machine, not the user, changes behavior").
· Formed and led Digital Media Group; produced media services, tools, and facilities.
· Developed self-service, training, and performance support systems for Coca-Cola, others.
· Designed and built a "corporate theme park," R&D and marketing centers.
· Produced mission-critical demos, videos, presentations, events, websites.
Bolt Beranek and Newman Inc. (Raytheon); Cambridge, MA 1985-1990
Project Leader, Principal Engineer.
Advanced research and solutions for military and public sector customers; some contributions:
· SIMNET, first large-scale distributed interactive simulation environment, for DARPA.
· TRIO, US Navy F-14 Radar Intercept Officer training system with AI and voice control.
· FOG-M Embedded Trainer, for US Army FOG-M missile system.
· ASAN, used by USAF personnel to plan minimal-impact flight training areas.
· Flanders infrared imaging system used by museum conservators to analyze fine artworks.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, and CERTIFICATIONS
· Project Management Professional (PMP) certification; from 2012.
· MS, Engineering, Yale U, New Haven CT.
· BS, Mathematics (ABT), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA.
· Analytics and User Experience courses; Nielson Norman Group, NYC, 2014.
· Systems and Usability Engineering courses; Boston U, Boston MA, 2001-04.
· New Media Certification; Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA, 1995-97.
· Computer Science and 3D Computer Graphics courses; Harvard U, Cambridge MA,1987-89.
· Licensed Commercial Pilot, Certified Flight Instructor, Advanced Ground Instructor.
· Produce videos, presentations and interactives – as marketing tools, concept proofs, demos, prototypes, progress reports.
· Produce performance events – theater, dance, music, TV, trade shows, interactive installations, spectacles.
· Hold US and UK passports; comfortable with travel.
Please see www.michaelharris.net for additional information and project examples.